Expert testimony and analysis of photographic evidence
Richard Quindry is a consultant and forensic expert witness who evaluates photographs to determine their truthfulness, whether they provide reasonably accurate representations of what they show, and for gleaning additional information from them.
With the proliferation of digital cameras and the ease and widespread availability of digital manipulation software, the veracity of photographic evidence has never been more open to question in a court of law.
Richard Quindry has over 40 years of experience as a full-time self-employed commercial photographer and is also a Photoshop expert. His specialty is combining these skills to create digitally enhanced images. He has several multinational clients and has received international recognition for his work.
His abilities include:
- Practical knowledge of optics, lighting, perspective, and exposure and their effects in determining how subjects are depicted.
- Expertise with Photoshop and other digital imaging programs to manipulate photographs. Over 25 years of practical experience with digital retouching and the knowledge gained from reading over 10,000 pages on the subject.
- The ability to examine digital files for tampering including retouching or compositing by detecting imperfections left from manipulation that are invisible to the naked eye.
- The ability to make a well-informed judgment as to whether an image is an accurate representation of what it depicts or is misleading and explain why.
- Photogrammetric analysis to determine measurements and distances from photos.
- As a Photoshop expert, he can often tease out and make visible details in an image that exist but which are not discernible to the naked eye, including evidence of alteration.
- The capability of often being able to determine whether a digital image was taken when a witness says it was.
- An ability to calculate the relative position of the sun for any time, date and place on the planet – sometimes being able to determine by studying shadow length and angles whether an outdoor photo taken in the sun could have been taken when it was said it was.
- The analysis of the colors in the image to determine if they are reasonably accurate or if they distort and misrepresent what they depict.
- The knowledge of how many special effects are created in photography.
- He’s able to explain things in ways that can be easily understood by laymen, both verbally and in writing.
- His CV is available on request.